Car Lighting: Top Reasons to Pick LED

There are many reasons why you could be looking to replace your car’s lights. You might have damaged them in an accident, or you simply might be looking to upgrade your stock lights. Regardless of your reasoning behind getting new car lighting, one important thing to consider when shopping is the type of bulb the new lights have. Lately, LED car lights have become increasingly popular and are overtaking the market. But what exactly makes them better than most stock lights?

Before we get into the advantages of LED car lighting, let’s talk about the difference in construction between LED and halogen. Light bulbs, in general, have been following a very similar style of construction since they were invented. They feature a filament inside a glass envelope which contains gas. When the filament receives power, it burns and produces brightness. Halogen lights are inexpensive to produce, which is why most car manufacturers equip their vehicles with them. On the other hand, LED lights, or light-emitting diodes, produce light when voltage is applied to the diode’s lead. This process is known as electroluminescence.

LED car lighting

Now that you know what the difference in construction is between halogen and LED lights, let’s move on to the benefits that LED lights provide for drivers. First and foremost, LED lights are much more efficient than traditional lights. On average, a traditional light bulb converts about 3% of the electricity it gets into visible light – the rest 97% becomes heat energy which is useless. LED lights, on the other hand, convert about 90% of the energy they receive. This means that LED light bulbs produce significantly more illumination per watt than other light bulbs.

As aforementioned, generic bulbs use a filament contained within a gas inhibitor in order to resist incoming current. This means that the filament is constantly on fire inside a contained system. If anything impacts the filament, whether that’s weather conditions or something else, the bulb will fail. While conventional bulbs have come a long way and can now last up to 2 000 hours, LED lights last at least tenfold. The main reason for this is the fact that LED lights do not require an inhibitor to prevent itself from burning up. The semiconductors inside the diode act as inhibitors themselves, so you only have to worry about the current, which is one of the easiest elements to control in an electrical system.

Lastly, LED lights are far more damage-resistant, and they can take more abuse from impact, vibration, and other hazards. This is one of the main reasons why they are the go-to car lighting solution for off-road vehicles.